Before officially starting my blog I would just like to once again say thank you Marla for hosting the tea so we could all meet and eat. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to everyone. I can't tell you how much it means to me to have your best wishes in my freshman year. Next time you hear from me, I'll be writing from my new home at Cottey!
Packing packing and more packing. Making up for all the days I procrastinated. Mom said I have most likely been in denial and thus refused to pack. Oh, contraire! I assure you that I am fully aware of my departure once and for all. Sad, well yes, of course. I actually realized that I am not taking a vacation but moving out, leaving the nest, cutting the umbilical cord or what have you. Though I will admit that it does make it harder to say "I'll miss you" when my 15 year old brother is taking measurements to make sure my bed can fit in his room. Many people have asked me how I am concerning the heavy transition to Missouri. I tell them I'm nervous, or can't wait to leave, or sometimes I am at a loss for words and smile really hard while nodding my head. The truth is I have no idea what I feel. I suppose I could say it hasn't really hit me yet. I've used that one since the start of 12th grade when begged with my thoughts on graduation. I really don't feel any sincere excitement, or sadness. I've heard and seen great things at Cottey and I am told I am going to have the time of my life there. I suppose you can never really have emotion for what you haven't seen or experienced. You could imagine what it might be like but then, like me, you could be plagued with scenes from National Lampoon's "Animal House" and repeatedly bang your head on your laptop. Perhaps thats the best way to enter college. No expectations, fears, doubts, or excessive excitement for what you've imagined it to be. I know I'll be taken over with my real feelings when I make my bed for the first time, try the exotic looking meat in the cafeteria, or cram for my first test. And when it comes I'll be sure to drop whatever I am doing and run up to my computer and type away because who knows when I'll get real emotion like that again. Yeah, I think the meat ought to do it.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Dear Katie,
ReplyDeleteYou are on your way to Cottey. When you get there you'll have at least one post to your site. I enjoyed your "essay" on your last day at home. It was creative and very insightful. Let us all know what emotions you'r feeling. I know that you'll meet so many new friends and have so many new experiences. Enjoy it ALL!
Katie, I should clarify who Chickie is. Rather than try to set up a new account I'm using an existing Google account and nickname. I'm really Leah Gilmore from P.E.O. Chapter DN. If you look at my profile and see the picture it is of my youngest daughter, Jennifer and Polly, the lab.
ReplyDelete