Oh my goodness. $304.00 for text books I will use only one semester. I can't think of a better way to spend all my hard earned graduation money! Well, at least I love the classes the books are for. After a meeting with my personal academic advisor, I walked out the door with a freshman's ideal schedule. Not a single class starting before 9 am! Tuesday's first class is at 2:30, leaving me time to sleep after pulling countless all nighters. I love this college! There is something about it that makes me feel at home. When I leave my bed in the morning, I know where I am headed without question. Every time I turn a corner, I see familiar sidewalks, statues, and park benches. I completed my first few days without worry, stress, or even a map.
My schedule:
BIO 101. Introductory Bio. 3 credits. MWF. 9am to 9:50am
MAT 103. College Algebra. 3 credits. MWF. 11am to 11:50am
DAN 192. Musical Theater Dance. 1 credit. MWF. 2pm to 2:50pm
(This bio lab is required for all science) BIO 101. Intro Bio Lab. 1 credit. TR 10am to 12pm
ENG 101. English Comp. 3 credits. TR. 4pm to 5:15pm
THE 103. Beginning Acting. 3 credits. TR. 2:30pm to 3:45pm
FLM 152. American Film. 3 credits. M. 6:30 to 9:30pm
Total Credits this semester: 17
As for the feeling I spoke of prior, I think a stroll through Walmart did it. I know, not near as interesting as the exotic meat, but as I walked through the isles, carrying my own purse with my own money and debit card, I knew I could do whatever I wanted. I stopped to pick up some morning vitamin drink that I knew my mom would say no to. However, this time, she wasn't there. Only my suite mates and I looked at the selection of breakfast items and we took whatever we wanted. No hesitation of wether we should. We simply took it off the shelf and walked on.
This last weekend Indiana suite was invited to a lake house owned by one of our suite mate's family. 11 girls, water skiing, tubing, and jet skiing. It was the most fun I've had since the adventure to Walmart. I, who had never done anything like this at a lake readily jumped on the tube and gave the OK to the dad driving the boat. The minute the boat took off into the heavy current, the tube assumed the role as the end of the whip. It spun, it turned, it flew into the air and it spanked the waves giving me whiplash and making my limbs fly about uncontrollably. I didn't notice what I had done to myself till the morning after when my neck and back refused to cooperate with me. I'll really feel it when I start my heavy dance class tomorrow. Oh well, suppose it wouldn't be college bonding time without a little physical distress. I guess it is somewhat like Animal House. Oh geeze!
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteGood to hear about your first few days at school. I'm glad that you feel at home and are able to get from place to place without getting lost or being late to class. I've did that a few times when I was a Freshman, way back when.
Your schedule sounds very full. Since I was a Science Major I would like the Biology class, but I'm afraid my Modern Dance Class was a disaster! I know you'll do a super job in all your classes.
I've never heard of tubing behind a motor boat. I think I would not have been able to get out of bed the following day. My daughter's school up in Chico was near the Sacramento River and tubing was/is a favorite of the entire student body. However, they just float downstream and enjoy the leisure of basking in the sun and enjoying in the cool water as they go.
I hope that you will post again, soon. I'll share with my P.E.O. sisters at our first meeting in a couple of weeks, and hopefully some of them will sign up to blog with you.
Take care.
Leah Gilmore
I should have previewed before posting. My poor grammer could have been corrected. Should read I've DONE that a few times....
ReplyDelete