Cheesy title I know, but I think that Miss Dorothy have a lot in common now that we've both been plunged into a new world that we are still unsure about. College is great. You can buy all the forbidden vitamins you want, you can leave for spontaneous lake trips, you can even go a day without ever doing a single chore. This is how I felt when I last posted. I had decided college was the best ting since Green Eggs and Ham and never wanted to go back. In a sense, I still feel that way. If your wondering, yes, I did have another Wal Mart expedition. Only this time it was Post-its that caused a days worth of endless life reflection. When you live in this small, a town, the weirdest things can entertain you for weeks. Oh do I miss big cities!
Up until this week, I had little to expect from my professors. I imagined they would all walk, talk, sit, stand, and grade the same as my high school teachers did. While I was in high school, I was never able to let myself go. My guard was always up and I monitored everything I did. Teachers were always the worst. I would never go see anyone for help in a subject because I didn't want to appear stupid when I gave a wrong answer; especially if it was math. The first week of courses showed my assumptions to be correct. College would have nothing more to offer. That was until I really met my teachers. Over the last two weeks, I had the opportunity to really see a part of who they were. Every occasion was unexpected, a little embarrassing, and comforting. Being at Cottey has turned off an internal switch in me. I went in for additional math tutoring last Friday. Me! Going in for help in math! No tears, no sweating, and only a little embarrassment. However I proved to myself that its OK not to understand. Its OK to tell your teacher you don't know the answer. This never entered my head all throughout high school. Wow, this college is worth every penny.
Aside from academics, I am also starting to notice another person in my room. I remember someone mentioning something about sharing a room, what do they call those types of people again? Ah, yes roommates. I came home one day and turned on the light. It was about 3pm and I had studying to do. In fury, my roommate wakes up and yells to turn out the light. I bolted to the switch and did as she said. Never had I imagined myself taking commands in my own space. The next day I return at 3pm once again and notice how she has a polite note on the door explaining how she doesn't wish the light to be on while she sleeps. I couldn't help but laugh at how different the smallest things in my life were going to be. Among these small things include sleeping in peace and quiet. Well it used to be peace and quiet. Now I drift off to sleep while listening to my roommate. She talks in her sleep. She talks, shouts, cries, kicks, punches, and moans all while in a deep sleep. How did they match us up? I took the personality test to get a perfect roommate! Well, I did say I was a good listener. Perhaps that?
Sunday, September 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Katie,
ReplyDeleteHang in there. It sounds as if you are getting into things in a big way. School, finding out about professors roommates and scheduling. When does your roommate sleep--every afternoon? I'm glad that you still have a sense of humor about everything. That will keep you going when the going gets tough as they say.
Thanks for the new insights into college life at Cottey.
I'm not stressed at all; yet. :] I am just really starting to realize the differences between college and high school. My roommate sleeps every other day in the afternoon. Its really entertaining actually! However, one night I got really scared because by the sound of her voice, I thought she was being attacked! Writing every now and then really helps me clear out my head. I am glad you guys are enjoying reading these posts.
ReplyDelete