First of all, I would like to thank all of the PEOs for their support in the fall semester. The care packages, the cookies, and the magazines all were put to great use and really helped me make me feel more at home here. I also want to apologize for not posting any blogs in the last month. In the last week of the semester I wasn't motivated to do anything but get on a plane to California. I guess I really underestimated how much of an effect being away from home would have on me. Again thanks for all your efforts to make the transition easier for me.
So, its the new year and its time for resolutions. I resolve to do all my homework, study well for all my tests, socialize well, work out regularly, blog more often, and journal everyday. I wonder how long this will last. Resolutions seldom make it past January. Usually by March, everyone has returned back to their old lifestyle and hold hopes in making it next year. Why do resolutions die out so quickly? I am not sure that people have such high resolutions that it is humanly impossible to complete them. More often than not, they involve new health regimes, a balance between work and home life, and possibly a household purchase or improvement. I have never kept a single new years resolution. Why is this the case for so many people? The first half of January if filled with ambition to complete your self oriented tasks. Personally, this is the best month for me to set goals next to September. After a period of time the resolutions bore me and I sink back into my old state. I imagine I just get sick of sticking to a routine. Probably half due to the fact that I really don't want to complete them; I only want the rewards and results my resolutions bring. As I understand it, resolutions are begun in January so all the goals can be accomplished in time for late spring to early summer.
Then, when fall starts again, are the resolutions kept? Are new ones made? Suppose someone actually sticks with their goals till then. Usually, about that time, people are settling back into the swing of work or school. Habits are taken up again; wether they be good or bad. And before you know it, it is time to create a new list of resolutions. So, I sit here, trying to write up a list of unbreakable vows to keep so I can improve my life come spring. I sit trying to think of ways to keep myself motivated when I can't be bothered to do that daily reading or gym workout. What can I do when there are no nearby incentives to keep me going? All it takes is one day to break the resolution and I go down hill from there.
I churned this thought in my head long enough to realize that the new year only comes one day at a time. Why should I be concerned with keeping all my promises tomorrow when today is here now. There was no way I could know how I would feel tomorrow. How about keep all my resolutions today and let tomorrow bring what it will. It is however, difficult to see the end result you want four whole months after you begin. How do you know you will make it? Studying for that test now isn't going to pay off until you have that shiny GPA at the end of the semester. What happens when you lose sight of the destination? Maybe I need a push. A daily incentive to put that foot in front of the other to complete my tasks. I come to the conclusion that everyday I complete my goals, I give myself a treat. This treat comes in the form of 25 cents. Twenty five cents that is stored in a piggy bank until the end of the month. And then at the end of the month I can buy something that isn't required for class but for my sanity. Mmmm, a cup of Mc Donalds coffee! Days I sleep instead of jogging? Ah, oh well, I can take the blow every now and then. Seeing now as I have failed to keep my resolutions year after year, it seems to easy now to take it a day at a time. The whole world moves at this pace, why should we move any faster?
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

HI Katie,
ReplyDeleteWelcome back to school, resolutions, study, gym workouts, socializing, and blogging! I don't even need to ask if you had a good vacation here at home. Marla said that you had lunch one day. She can bring us up to date on your conversation with her. Before you know it you'll be counting down to summer vacation and home again.
I think your philosophy of taking your days one at a time is a great idea. How can we do more than that when the "whole world moves at this pace"? No one can do more than that.
Enjoy the new Semester. Chill out with your suite-mates, and enjoy your Cottey experience.