Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Another Year Down South

Okay well maybe not down south but its as far down as I can stand. Man I really underestimated the humidity over here! Coming from nearly perfect weather everyday its hard to come to a place where the weather can change instantly. Sitting to write this first entry in my blog. Its odd to think that I only have a year left at Cottey. A year ago I was an eager freshman signing up for everything I could. Not really knowing who I was, I tried to emulate everyone around me so that I might find myself and be happier. My first college year, as hard as it was, was a truly great year. I tested my own boundaries both physically and mentally to see if I could achieve my own idea of perfection and I realized that I could actually attain it. However, trying to hold up my own standards were a lot like trying to balance the worlds finest teacups on a single saucer. Getting up everyday and keeping my control over who I thought I was destined to be was exhausting. I broke down in early 2010 and became a lifeless robot. I couldn't sleep, or even think. I couldn't even remember who I used to be. I'm not sure where my real depression ended and my own dramatic flair set in but I was not happy with who I had become. Finally in April, I began to let loose and my instincts started to govern my life. I set down my own rule book and the expectations I assumed others had of me. Over the summer, I really began to question my choices of major, career, and home. On some of those topics, I had no idea. On others, I felt I knew what I was meant to do. Rather than stifling my instincts I let them have a say in my choices.

Instincts, as trustworthy as they were, were also a little indecisive. So how about a major? Hmmm? Pouring over college guides, internet sources and career tests, I have yet to find a lifestyle that suits me. It makes it rather hard to pick a major or another school after Cottey if I don’t have a sure passion in life. I had always imagined that my interests would just sneak up on me. I makes me sick to think of going to another school without a major that I love. What is it all for if you have no idea where you are going? How do you know when you’ve found a career that you are meant to have? Well, in May, I’ll have a degree in Liberal Arts and Sciences. Wow, a degree! I focused so hard on my BA that it never occurred to me that before then, I would have an actual degree. It hit me when I was looking for colleges yesterday. Cottey focuses on liberal arts and sciences....I had always seen it as just a two year school. The phrase liberal arts and sciences never really sunk in to mean anything more than general education. However, now it seems like I could really apply that to my life. Not one subject but a taste of everything. I don’t want to have one job my whole life. I want to try 10 different jobs. I don’t know what they are yet but every so often I change and want something else. Now, financially I don’t know how that will hurt me but at least I won’t be held at a job I don’t like because its the only thing I’m qualified for. How can I make a decision now to do something for the rest of my life? Majors are beginning to look more like marriages than interests. It starts with an interest which turns into a major, then an internship, then a job and thats usually it. I don’t want to get married for at least 10 years so why should I have to pick a single major or a job now either?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, Glad to see that you are back at it again at Cottey. Yes, the weather isn't always what we have here, and yes, the thought that you need to choose a major is always in the forefront, and yes, you have another year at this great college to decide things that may be just gray areas now. But, you are living in the moment, or at least I hope you are. Enjoy the day, your friends, a special class (yes, there are those), your FREE time, and even just walking on campus from class to class.

    Remember how you felt your first week last year? Now you are the upper classman and you have that first year under your belt. You may not realize it, but you have learned soooo much. There is an old, old, saying which tells us to take time to smell the roses. Take your time and enjoy this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Katie! I feel your angst! You are totally NORMAL, my dear! College is a time to figure out the right direction for your life, and you are doing just that. We are looking forward to supporting you as your P.E.O. Aunties in Chapter HU again this year! I'm still trying to get information as to dates of finals, vacations, etc. Our chapter will not be meeting until mid October to collect items for your first Care Package, but hang in there -- it will arrive eventually! Love, Alice

    ReplyDelete