After expecting a rude wake up call, my Monday morning alarm came at just the right time. I had a restful, gluttonous Thanksgiving break and was ready to head back to school (did I just say that?!), or what's left of it. That's right, we have a mere two and a half weeks left of traditions, finals, and christmas presents! When asked how I was going to bear being away from home again, I told some family friends that Cottey fall semesters were like big naps before a great party! Though sometimes it was really hard to manage, school has indeed gone by fast and believe it or not this is the slow part of the school year :) So, as I was saying, I jumped out of bed this morning, past my snoozing roommate and headed to class. What was going on? Usually mornings consisted of cold floors, aching muscles, and a nasty red spotty complexion. However, none of this occurred to me this morning. After some depressing days these past two months, I came to the conclusion that to feel better, all my life's problems would just work out miraculously and I shouldn't have to work at feeling better. After all, I didn't work to feel sad, did I?
Over Thanksgiving break, I stayed at someone else's house and, since I wanted to made a favorable impression on them, I made my bed every morning. It was a little extra work but I thought it would make a difference. I also laid out my clothes the night before and tidied up every night so the room would be clean every morning. Again, it was a little extra work but I thought it would make a difference. Every morning I awoke knowing what I would be wearing and had a clean room to change in. It was truly a nice feeling; this sense of order so early in the morning. If my morning could be smooth, why couldn't my emotions be? I lived nearly a week with smiles to show my hosts that I was enjoying myself. It didn't matter whether I was happy or not; I smiled. The strange thing is that I don't think anyone noticed how my clothes were perfectly matched, or how my bed was neat. I noticed and it made a huge difference. Those morning routines were pulling me out of my homesick blues and my stress about life after Cottey. When I thought about cleaning up a room for another, I helped myself. It was a funny feeling....this helping others feeling!
So, today after waking up with a spring in my step, I walked to Woods Supermarket and bought a half gallon of orange juice. The woman checking me out told me to "make it a good day." In my own life, I believe everything happens for a reason. This was no exception. It was perhaps one of the best things I've heard in a supermarket! Too often, I expect to just HAVE a nice day. Is it possible that I can waltz through a day without having to put forth effort to make it nice? It was silly to think that I could exert no effort and await happiness instead of merely making it. Everyone's happiness is a little different. A dog doesn't need to work at happiness. He feels it every moment. Some of my friends are like this. I think, for the time being, I will work to make my happiness in new, novel ways. Who knew that I could extract so much joy and satisfaction from a made bed or a fresh change of clothes in the morning? I didn't until I did it for someone else. My dad says that love is so wonderful because it makes us selfless beings; devoted to another. Maybe, for the time being, I can be devoted to others. Maybe a warm coca for a Cottey girl? An anonymous thank you letter to a teacher? Perhaps I can spend some time silently bettering myself for the benefit of others. And what better time for random acts of kindness than the Christmas season...
Monday, November 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Right on Katy! It sounds like you have found a real life truth. I've thought for many years that just a quick note to someone, a small gift to a hostess, or a ride to the store or to a Dr. for someone who doesn't drive gives me a great deal of pleasure. This is the time of year when we think about this sort of thing more than any other time, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we should be kind to someone else, therefore boosting our own ego, all year round.
ReplyDeleteMy grandson also found that small pleasures are what he looks forward to in Africa. He has his own two room thatched hut where he can get away for a quick nap, to read, or to do some planning. His latest project is making latrines for a couple of villages, and he says that believe it or not this has given him a lot of pleasure! I'm not sure, but I think a cup of cocoa for someone else would do it for me!
I know you will be glad to be home for Christmas and you'll find that Graduation will be just around the corner. Hang in there!
Chickie