So, what's your major? I had come to dread this question. I became frustrated with myself when all I could say was "ummm, to find a major?" Meanwhile, others were happily studying humanities, sciences, mathematics etc and I was turned off by all I considered. Maybe I am just one of those people who picks up jobs here and there to pay the rent. I was sure that if i was indeed to have a passion in life, it would have hit me over the head by now. I began spring semester with a new batch of classes and no idea where I would end up in 5 years. As a planner, I was greatly upset by that. I worried that I had looked over all possible majors and would have to choose from my personal "reject" pile of potential life goals, or perhaps copy down someone else's. A few weeks ago, I was talking to a councilor here about my predicament and I explained how I dropped my chemistry course and thus ruled out basically any career involving medicine or the human body. In the past I had really considered Kinesiology (study of the mechanics of the body) as a major but was a little scared at the thought of chemistry, having never taken a class. My failure to stay with the class made a Kinesiology major seem out of reach and thus, no longer an option. However, as I talked to her, I explained that my spanish class (with no help from my unhelpful, useless spanish professor) had taken up a lot of my time and if I had taken chemistry the year before without spanish, I could have withstood the stress. All of a sudden I realized that I had set a limit on myself that I was unable to study Kinesiology because I had one minor setback.
My eyes widened as I exclaimed "well I can still be a Kinesiology major can't I?! I just took chemistry at the wrong time!" I walked out of the office with a big smile knowing that I could take that path if I wished. Having been an actor in the past, it made sense. You don't give up after a failed audition. And I shouldn't give up after a failed 3 weeks. Since our meeting I surrendered myself to my inner wants and needs. I looked at where I had spent my spare time and I always wound up at the gym, or reading nutritional articles or cringing when others tried to lecture me on what I knew to be nutritional falsities. Everything about my actions finally pieced together and I could see myself doing this and getting paid for it! By "this" I mean exercising, training others, leading group aerobics, etc. I wanted it all and still do. I picked up an extra water aerobics class and began to cross train so I could learn about the numerous types of physical activity and be the best that I could in as many types of exercise I could. I began to really love what I was doing and felt at peace with myself.
It occurred to me that I measured a day's worth by how much I physically exerted myself rather than how much homework I did. I was more proud of the miles I ran rather than the good grades I earned in my classes. Sitting at a desk reading about spanish or gender and communication bored be and I ached to go for a walk or a swim. As the next week in the blizzard progressed, an inner restlessness took over me and it simply didn't seem logical to take classes I didn't want to. As the snow piled outside, I felt trapped and helpless. I wanted to go for a walk and could only make it to the edge of Cottey's campus before the snow was up to my knees. I retreated back to my room and sulked. Why would I sit in a chair when I have arms and legs to play with? I couldn't go outside and my studies were the only reasonable thing to do.
WHY?!
For the first time in a while that I can recall, I want to do things my way and my way only. Yet, I continue to trudge along with my classes hoping that I will be content again soon. I feel liberated for the first time in a while, but there is a choke chain around my neck pulling me back to a sedentary lifestyle, which frankly, frightens me. Is this inner rebellion for the better or worse. I feel like I know what I want, but unable to give in to those desires without risking a less than satisfactory Cottey GPA. Is this inner rebellion's purpose to simply let me know that my path is through Kinesiology. Maybe I have finally found an area of interest that is so great that nothing in my mind can measure up. So, when I have to leave the swimming pool and return to my desk, I feel like I have left my source of happiness to fulfill another's wishes instead of my own. My frustration increases daily as I realize how I don't have a clear answer to my problem yet. I tell my parents, my suite mates, anyone who can offer advice. I tell others how frustrated I am in the hopes of what? Getting an answer? They can't settle my nerves or cancel my classes. Do I just have to sit this blizzard out?
Sunday, February 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Follow your passion, Katie! Kinesiology sounds perfect for you! We will be looking forward to hearing more from you!
ReplyDeleteAlice and Your Chapter HU Aunties
Kinesiology sounds like it was made for you. You'll find that in time, the desire to be "out there" exercising will be tempered with those necessary times that you have to study.
ReplyDeleteLet us know how things are going, and also about your Spring Break trip to France. It is something wonderful to look forward to.