Monday, October 12, 2009

Breath of Fresh Air

Two weeks ago, I sat in the suite with my suite mates and talked about my excitement for the cold weather. The rain had just set in and thunder roared over Cottey. I jumped on the couch and ran through the rooms telling one and all that it was raining. Being a Cali girl, a good thunderstorm was hard to come by. Caitlyn, a suite mate, told me that she felt the same way until winter hit. I laughed and told her that I run hot; I could handle anything! it wasn't until last Friday morning did I understand what she meant. I left for classes in a hurry and the 40 degree winds hit my face immediately. I had never been so thankful for my indoor biology class.

This week, I felt as though I am on the game show, Survivor; thrown into an island with homework, other girls, no malls, and freezing weather. If I make it home for Christmas, I'll get a million dollars! Some suite mates and I took an overnight road trip to Kansas City for some shopping and some excitement at the Renaissance Fair. As we neared the city limits, I began to see what I had missed most. That blessed cup with the green mermaid on it. Yes, Starbucks! Soon after I walked into the coffee shop I developed a new appreciation for every latte that I carelessly gulped down. Glancing at the menu, I remembered what had become such a regular part of my life. $4.00 for a cup of coffee?! I could make that myself! Now that I have been buying my own coffee, I realize just how much I spent on one morning's refreshments. Though I was shocked to see such a price, my knees buckled and I paid for the extra hot Pumpkin Spice Latte that kept me moving through the Kansas City stores. It was 30 degrees!

Though I hate to say it, being in such a small town has helped me to appreciate the things that I never knew existed. Making your own coffee? Why do that when you can pay for it pre made? Making dinner? McDonalds is right around the corner, lets go there! When I was in high school, I would hit the mall at least once a week. Being in certain stores gave me a sense of comfort as I sat in dressing rooms dancing to the music in clothes that were way too expensive. I never enjoyed being in my own room. The mall always had a better enviornment; and thats where I stayed. I walked into the familiar stores in Kansas City hoping to feel that warmth again. Yes, I did feel better out of the cold, but honestly, I enjoy being in my own room just as much.

When you close your eyes, suddenly you can hear more. When you plug your ears, nothing escapes your eyes. A familiar sense of mine has been taken away and I am just beginning to see all the senses I overlooked while I sipped my lattes in the mall. Without the comforts of my San Jose life, I notice the chill in the morning and, though its rather irritating, I am happy I have a chance to experience it without a green mermaid in my hand.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    I loved your latest essay. Sometimes when you are experiencing the big picture, Starbucks, Malls, and City life you don't appreciate the small things. You said it very loud and clear.

    I hope that you are well equiped with longjohns, mittens, scarves, and earmuffs. Those cold mornings can be awful sometimes. But enjoyable if you are dressed for it.

    I was at a P.E.O. meeting last evening and found out from a Cottey graduate that we only have two CA girls at Cottey this year. We need to get more of you out there to Cottey. Any ideas?

    I mailed some magazines to you yesterday. I hope that they will help with your collage work. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete