Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ecological Niche?

My biology teacher Mr. Peterson continued with his lecture on animal and plant kingdoms. I sat and tried to take down as many notes as my fingers would allow. He stated how every animal must find their own ecological niche in order to survive. Otherwise, the animal kingdom and the harsh effects of nature would eliminate the creature from existence. Now, rarely do I find myself comparing my current state to those of animals discussed in biology, but in this case, I let my mind wander. If I were a frog what would I do to keep fleas on the table? Acting? No, that would be too risky of a profession. I don't get paid to audition. Writing? No, remember what we said about the risky jobs? Nobody pays me a steady rate to type on my computer. What would I do with my life? I only have a few more years until I graduate from a 4 year university. Tick tock tick tock. My mind raced as I darted over to the career councilor and booked her first open hour. She would help me! I would sit and tell her my interests and she would show me an easy path to take to get there and soon I would be raking in the pay checks.

I sat in her office and she asked me to fill out a test that could help determine what I was best suited for. My first letter was "S" that stood for "Social." Next came "A" for "Artistic" and lastly, "E" meaning "Enterprising." The careers were listed in many orders depending on how I ranked. I looked at supposed ideal careers corresponding to my interests and scrunched my nose. Teaching? I had never thought about being a teacher. I guess the harsh budget cuts in California had some effect on me. Sure, I could give it a try, but I had also considered nursing. The councilor looked at me and told me most nurses had an "I" in their results, standing for "Investigative." "Oh," I mumbled. I wasn't sure what to say, I know she would encourage me to go for what I wanted, however, I had just imagined nursing would automatically be in my line of perfect careers. The test disagreed with me. The thought of being a nurse is only a few months old. However, I had given it serious thought. I could see myself saving countless lives and being swept off my feet by a wealthy gorgeous brain surgeon. It sounded like a career made for me.

When I was in kindergarten, we had to dress up as what we wanted to be when we grew up. I was a dancer. I sat amongst doctors, football players, teachers, baseball players, and assorted suits. Back then it was so clear and achievable. If I told someone I was going to be a dancer, they would tell me I was a great dancer and couldn't wait to see me on the stage. Now, I sit in her office and she tells me all the courses I will have to take. Graduate Cottey, transfer to a nursing school, get a BA in sciences. Become a registered nurse. Of course find some way to pay for classes. Work and volunteer in hospitals and keep your grades up. I shuddered thinking about more math classes that would be required for a degree in sciences. Why couldn't she just tell me that I would be a great nurse and give me a pair of scrubs to wear? It got so complicated once I opened my mouth. With every other career I named, she had a list of requirements to throw back at me. Hmm, living with mom and dad had no requirements. That sounded so much better. But obviously a baby spider can't live with its mother very long, because eventually she will devour it soon enough. My mother would most likely do the same. The spider ought to grow up and find its own purpose. Perhaps in web design? Of course there will be a multitude of classes it must pass, but in the end it has a life that it would never have achieved without the drive and passion put into the niche it chose.

2 comments:

  1. Love your creative career thoughts, Katie! You have plenty of time to decide and this is the time in your life when you can truly explore all the possibilities. Have fun!

    Love from your HU P.E.O. Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deciding on a Life career is never easy, but you have lots of time (even if it doesn't seem like it). It sounds as if you are working very hard in trying to decide and your essay was very thoughtful. Writing could be a choice as you do it very well. Time will tell, and enjoy that time to the fullest!

    Your classes all sound like they are fantastic.
    Chickie

    ReplyDelete