Halloween afternoon, the suite and I load ourselves into the car and drive to Kansas City for the evening. Dolled up in our costumes, we blast the Monster Mash as we plan our evening. Dinner, Starbucks (of course) a Halloween party, and then who knows! Eager to show off our outfits, we parade around the shops after dinner. Trees glisten from the windows and colorful lights cover the plaza - wait, trees and lights?! This early?? Even though November was only a few hours away, Christmas morning was almost two months away. Starbucks hadn't even brought out their famous red cup! Was Christmas on steroids this year? However, I can't say that I was wholeheartedly against it. Seeing the lights gave me butterflies to think that this holiday was soon to come. Next, the unthinkable happened; I began to hum a christmas carol. My friend stopped in her tracks and stared at me incredulously. "No, not yet. You know the rules Katie!" She reprimanded me. "Oh, alright" I mumbled. She had been on record for not wanting to celebrate Christmas before December. I knew this, but sometimes I couldn't help myself! A few seconds passed and I heard the melody of another christmas song coming from her direction. Looking over at her, she slapped her hand over her mouth as her eyes widened. She was singing Christmas songs too and I caught her red handed!
Comparing notes with some high school friends, I found that I was not the only one anxious for this season to arrive. They too had to restrain themselves every now and then. What was the matter with us? We had always been content with November and didn't stop to think about the next holiday after Thanksgiving. I have never had to fight my urges to play "White Christmas" before. I hate to say it, but I feel that my love of Christmas this year correlates with my love of life at home. Gingerbread parties with friends, making sugar cookies with my mom, shopping at my beloved mall. Of course, three weeks without even the slightest bit of homework makes the jolly season a tad better.
It is a nice thought of being home, but I don't believe my urge to play Christmas music is a direct link to nostalgia. When I was in high school, I had my alarm clock set in the morning so it would blare a holiday themed radio station to wake me up. Every morning would be a different tune. This was always the best way to start the day; It made me so happy. I would dance around while I got ready- keeping my mind off school and homework. Anything red and green made my eyes sparkle. Buying perfect gifts for family and friends gave me shivers. This season gave a girl an excuse to sing as loud as she wanted and skip through the mall to see Santa. You could be having the worst day of your life, and hearing bells made it not seem as bad. The last two years, I have been incapacitated during this time. The first time, I had no choice, the second time, I elected to have surgery over Christmas. Why? Give me a better time of the year to just sit, and put up your feet and smile! Not once did I cry or complain extensively over my condition. I just sat, ate, watched loads of Christmas films, and often wrapped presents for Santa. It was a wonderful life!
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey Katie,
ReplyDeleteI got your Thank you today. I know that you are already thinking about Christmas--how can you not with the stores in full Christmas decorating mode and all the Catalogs that have inundated my mailbox! I can't quite wrap my mind around the earlier and earlier start of the "season". I still have Thanksgiving dinner to cook and cookies to bake for our P.E.O. cookies raffle. Our proceeds go to the Bill Wilson Center for Troubled Teens and their families. Guess I'd better get busy.
I know that you are coming home for the Christmas Break--maybe that's why you are beginning to feel a little giddy. Hang in there, your trip home will be here before you know it.
P.S. Another great addition to your blog. This is better than a Journal to write down your thoughts and ideas.