Monday, September 27, 2010

Majors, elemental reactions, arguments, and AIDS.

These few weeks have brought on more turmoil than I imagined my first month having. For starters, I dropped chemistry. Yes! I am liberated, free at last free at last thank god almighty free at last. I stayed up late one night staring at my chemistry book before a big exam and not knowing Bromine from a chemical reaction. After a conversation with my father, it is clear that if need be, chemistry was only a signature away from leaving my world of problems. I went in the next morning, failed the test, and within the next 72 hours, the class was dropped. Walking into my chemistry professor's office to get her approval, I put my tail between my legs expecting to hear her disappointment in me. She gladly took the paper, signed it, and told me that if I ever needed anything from her, I shouldn't hesitate to ask. She knew that I had come in for tutoring every week since the start of the year and as hard as we tried, the time to spend on each chapter was too short for me to fully grasp and understand everything. Like I've said before, a great teacher will do no good, if there is not sufficient time for the student to learn. She was a great teacher and I thanked her for it. I was a great pupil and studied as much as I could. In the end, it was time that hurt us. I wonder how many other students have been deemed incompetent of a subject they didn't have the time to learn...

Something I have learned in my time at Cottey thus far is that I may just enjoy a career in children's counseling/conflict management. After placing myself in every imaginable major, I have found one that fits the best for the time being. After all, I am a teenager, tomorrow I may want to be a pilot! One of the things that kept me going during my low points at Cottey was my counselor, Susan Yoss. Every week, I went to see her and it was such a relief to get everything off my chest and have someone there to help me organize my life. After a while, I became envious of her job; sitting with someone and talking it all out. There was little structure and you persisted at the problem until it subsided. You were paid to help people connect with themselves. Not fair! Within my circle of friends in high school, I always assumed the role of the mother hen, the mediator, etc. I have always delighted in others seeking my council and helping them to fix there external and internal problems. I am a listener! Also, I find its easier to get along in my own life by focusing on others instead of my own issues. Ideally, elementary through middle school counseling would be best. I am not sure I am ready for the ever rebellious high school student!

Minutes before writing this blog, I was able to assume the role of a conflict manager within my own suite. Being able to clearly see both sides of the issue, I was able to help others realize the error in their ways (wether they liked it or not). This year, the suite is filled with freshmen who act like high school freshmen. Running down the halls screaming, staying up all night eating ice cream, ditching all their classes, and leaving a pigsty everywhere they go. Having to tell them right from wrong was quite a challenge. I came to understand what counselors in an elementary setting sometimes go through. And its hard to be the bad guy isn't it? Other seniors in the suite got to play the fun father's role of siding with the children and asking why we HAVE to be quiet when others are sleeping. Because I said so! Well tonight, we settled the argument. Mom brought in a bigger mom and the freshmen listen to her! Yes, I may have made enemies in the process, but I am not going to sacrifice my living situation here for the little conveniences of others. Mom has put her foot down!

After a lively suite argument, I feel like I have already earned a Friday. This weekend is the opening of Cottey's play, Cocktail. The story of a pharmacologist striving to bring her revolutionary AIDS treatment to Thailand and the jungles of Africa. Lets hope the audience doesn't realize that the "africans" are actually white Texan girls in traditional african attire! This Friday is also the start of family weekend, so we will be invaded by other PEO's, BIL's, moms and dads. Sadly, my family will spend family weekend at home. Sob. I guess I'll just have to soak up hugs from my roommates parents!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Katie,
    Chemistry out of the picture is a huge burden off your shoulders. I can just feel your indecision--should I drop? should I try to muddle through?

    I told you earlier, that Chemistry was the reason I went into biological science!! I didn't have to take the Chem to finish my Natural Science Major. Nuf said.

    I enjoyed your blog today. Keep up the good work and don't feel bad about trying to bring order to your suite. Chaos may reign for a few days, but I'm sure that everyone, not just you, will be glad for the more tranquil atmosphere.
    Good "Moms" have to be the bad guy sometimes.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Katie! You've done a superb job of introspection, self-analysis and decision-making! You didn't need to take Chem. anyway -- I also chose not to when in college! I love the fact that you are now considering a career in school or other counseling! Realizing that choosing a career in a field where you can be doing something you enjoy and are good at is a huge step in the right direction! I'll share your wisdom with your Chapter HU aunties! Wish we could be at Cottey for the family weekend!

    ReplyDelete